Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Pounding It Out, Day 1

I started writing the novel just a little after midnight. The working title is Death Wave. Hokey, I know, but when you read the book (assuming I finish it, of course), I think the tone will fit.

The writing went pretty well, but then, the first day always does. I sometimes spend days thinking about the opening before I write it, playing the scene, tuning the language in my head, so when I actually start typing, the first few pages roll out pretty fast.

I didn't do that so much this time; the scene I mostly toyed with was one that occurs roughly halfway through, by my reckoning, a scene that helped me really get a handle on my main character and the tone of the book. But I had toyed a lot with the opening sections, too, so it went pretty smoothly.

I only did about 1,000 words, though, and by the NanoWriMo chart, I need to average around 1670 a day to get to 50,000 in thirty. But after I've slept some and checked the job listings, I'll have the rest of the day to make up those 670 words. I'll probably get pushed out a little bit ahead.

I don't want to kill myself, obviously. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and I tend to flare early and burn out quick. But I hope that doesn't happen this time, and I have some small reason to hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My personal best was about 5,000 words in one day, but even I can't keep up that kind of pace. 1,000 words is a perfectly acceptable margin. Don't burn out.

TheyStoleFrazier'sBrain said...

Well, day one is officially over, and I ended up with around 2800 words when it was all said and done. Parts of it went very slowly, but then I hit one of the spots I'd been tuning in my head for a while, and it just whizzed by. And I think it turned out really well. So I'm happy with day one.