Thursday, October 14, 2010

Lovecraft Is Missing

A little over a month ago, I did a Vault about Betty Boop Funnies. And I mentioned there that writer/artist Larry Latham currently has a webcomic called Lovecraft is Missing. At the time, I hadn't read it, so I didn't offer any kind of qualitative judgment.

I have read through it now, and given that this is Halloween month, I feel I ought to let you know that Lovecraft is Missing is a tight little horror comic. The concept is not startlingly original--that concept being the things Lovecraft was writing about were really true--but the execution is very good. The story is unsettling, helped along by creepy art which is grounded in real-world detail and a moody color palette. The archives go back for about two years, so there's plenty to read. Latham also has occasional articles on other aspects of Lovecraftiana and occult detectives and the like. It's a great place to visit for Halloween and after.

No comments: