Sunday, February 01, 2009

Consistency

I am officially unemployed. There's not much else I can say to that right now.

Still plugging away at the webcomic, trying to get that last strip finished to make a five-week buffer before the official launch tomorrow.

I've come a long way in the last month. I've gotten back into the swing of penciling and gotten a lot of practice with the graphics pad. My pencils have gotten a little tighter and my inks are getting cleaner. The big problem I have right now is consistency.

One hallmark of professional strips is their consistent look. Dilbert is poorly drawn, but Dilbert and Dogbert and Wally and the rest have a consistent look from panel to panel, crude as that look may be. In animation terms, that's known as being "on model."

And that's what I haven't yet achieved in Hero Go Home. You can recognize Digger by his costume and hairstyle, but I have been unable to draw a consistently recognizable face from panel to panel. I should be able to draw Digger in a dress (and that may be real concern at some point in the future) and have him be recognizable by his posture and facial features. But I haven't achieved that degree of consistency yet. That's something I need to aim for going forward.

No comments: